UNIVERSITY DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
The American University of Kuwait is committed to a liberal arts model of education through which students are encouraged to take courses and participate in activities that go beyond their selected fields of study or major. To cultivate this breadth of knowledge, the university requires of all students a foundational set of general education requirements upon which students build their university education. The university offers a wide range of specializations in the arts and sciences, as well as opportunities for second degrees, double majors, minors, and electives in a variety of disciplines (fields of study). AUK believes in strengthening the students’ basic skills in writing and communication, logical reasoning, quantitative reasoning (through mathematics and statistics), and scientific reasoning. AUK’s solid liberal arts and sciences curriculum is designed to instill in students the passion for life-long learning, and promote academic excellence, professionalism, and leadership qualities.
To graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Arts, or Sciences or Business Administration (BA, BS, BBA), students must complete a minimum of 124 credit hours. To graduate with a Bachelor of Engineering degree (BE), students must complete a minimum of 144 credit hours. These credit hours are composed of the general education requirements and all degree program or major requirements. Any of the required credit hours remaining after the completion of all requirements may be used to complete a minor in another discipline (field of study) or for free electives, or both. Students are encouraged to complete a minor either in a field related to their degree program or major, or in any other area of their interest. The degree programs and the university general education requirements are detailed in the following pages.
All Private Universities Council (PUC) Scholarship students should note the following:
The PUC scholarship award does not cover the tuition fees for any additional courses. The scholarship award only covers the tuition for the assigned scholarship major only. PUC Scholarship students who register in additional courses outside of their assigned scholarship major will be charged for the tuition of the additional credit hours. Non-payment will result in a financial hold, preventing students from, among other things, registering for future classes and collecting their AUK transcripts.
The College of Arts and Sciences at the American University of Kuwait offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Media
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations
- Bachelor of Arts in Social and Behavioral Sciences (Concentration in Anthropology)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
The College of Business and Economics at the American University of Kuwait offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Management
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing