Disability services include identifying strategies to accommodate the learning requirements of students with disabilities. Prospective students with disabilities who are requesting accommodations must declare this in the Medical/Disability Disclosure Form and provide specific verifiable documentation.
AUK students seeking accommodations who have not disclosed a disability at the time of admission or who have discovered an impairment after enrollment that is impeding their academic progress must follow the same disclosure and verification procedures as described for prospective students.
Scholarship students who find it difficult to meet the learning objectives of the course of study or the intended major due to an identified disability or due to the ineffectiveness of the accommodations received are advised to contact the Scholarship Department prior to the beginning of the following term to discuss options.
Students requesting special accomodatations must:
- Provide detailed documentation from a licensed psychologist, psychiatrist, or physician verifying the diagnosis, nature, effect, and limitations of the condition.
- Should be no more than 3 years old.
- Should include the evaluator’s name and title, testing dates, and student’s age at the time of evaluation.
- Must complete the Medical/Disability Disclosure Form and valid documentations at the beginning of the semester.
- The Counseling Center will review the Medical/Disability Disclosure Form and supporting documentation, and if accommodations are available, will inform the student and appropriate University personnel.
- Students are consulted as to which faculty members to include in the form and the Counseling Center will only notify these faculty members of the accommodation plan.
- The student will take the Disabilities Accommodations Plan Form to each faculty member who will in turn sign the form. This allows the student the opportunity to disclose any information concerning their accommodations.
- The Student will then return the Disabilities Accommodations Plan Form to the Counseling Center. The Counseling Center staff will send out a notification email to the faculty members listed on the Disabilities Accommodations Plan Form.
- Students need to renew their Disabilities Accommodation Plan Form with the names of their faculty members at the beginning of each semester.
- Extended time for in-class writing, projects, test.
- Use of audio recorder.
- Proctoring Exams outside the classroom. If proctoring is required, the student has to notify the Counseling Center 3 days prior to the exam.
- Preferential/distraction-reduced seating when available.
- Aiding materials (calculator, copies of lecture slides, enlarged print handouts/tests)
- Academic Support Services:
- Individual regular sessions with either the Writing Center or the Tutoring Center.
- Individualized Academic Advising
Accommodations plan will be shared with the student’s class professors for reference.