Upon completion of the AUK major in English, the student will be able to:
- Recognize a wide range of literary works of world cultures, sub-cultures, and minority groups.
- Compare and contrast texts produced in different periods and genres.
- Identify and discuss representative authors, works, and movements.
- Analyze cultural and literary texts using theory.
- Develop independent thought and judgment to carry out research projects.
- Develop and communicate ideas clearly in writing.
- Evaluate cultural and literary texts within socio-political, historical, and economic contexts.
English majors begin their coursework with an introduction to literary studies, move on to surveys of Western and world literatures in English, and then advance to courses that focus on particular motifs, genres, critical approaches, time periods, authors, or countries.